Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Who’s the Daddy? (Part 2)

Last Wednesday, I posted “My ‘Maury Povich’ Moment with DNA.”  You have to read it to understand this update. In a nutshell, after 21 years, with clues from oral history and genealogy research staring me in the face all that time, DNA is confirming that a man named Prince Edwards (born c. 1830) of Panola County, Mississippi was likely the father of my mother’s paternal grandmother, Sarah Partee Reed (1852-1923) of Tate County (Senatobia), Mississippi. Then, my cousin, Dr. Jeffrey O. Green Ogbar, sent me turning flips with excitement because of the African history he had uncovered about the Edwards Family. Details are in “My ‘Maury Povich’ Moment with DNA.”


Hooked up with cousin Dr. Jeffrey O. Green Ogbar this past Saturday to rap about our 3rd-great-grandfather, Ogba(r) Ogumba (Luke Edwards Sr.) and future research and DNA verification plans.

Last night, I was able to finally talk with one of my close DNA matches, who had been in my Mom’s relative database in 23andMe for over 2 years. Andre shares 70 cM (0.94%) across 4 segments with Mom, 81 cM (1.09%) across 5 segments with my uncle, and 93 cM (1.26%) across 6 segments with my aunt, with a predicted relationship of 2nd to 3rd cousin. After talking with Andre and his father Albert last night, I see why Andre shares a lot of DNA with us. Albert’s real paternal grandfather's father was Uncle Square Partee, one of Grandma Sarah’s brothers! Therefore, Andre and my Mom are second cousins twice removed.

When I discovered that Prince Edwards was Grandma Sarah’s father, I wondered if he was the father of her three younger brothers, Judge Partee (1854), Square Partee (1858), and Johnny Partee (1864). There may have been another brother, Dock Partee (born c. 1855), but his relationship is presently unconfirmed. They were all the children of Polly Partee, who was known as being the cook on Squire B. Partee’s plantation in Panola County, Mississippi during and after slavery. She was born somewhere in North Carolina around 1832. Again, DNA is coming to the rescue to provide a partial answer to my question – was Prince Edwards also the father of Grandma Sarah’s younger brothers?

One of the close DNA matches in 23andMe that confirmed my family’s connection to Prince Edwards was Elmer Edwards of Alberta, Canada. Both he and his daughter Sandra took the 23andMe test. After Sandra accepted my sharing invitation in 23andMe, I was able to see her father’s profile and compare him to my Mom and her siblings. Elmer was the great-grandson of Peter Edwards (born c. 1835), who was one of Prince’s brothers who left Mississippi and settled in Oklahoma. Elmer’s father, Jefferson Edwards, left Oklahoma in 1911 and migrated to Alberta, Canada. More details are in “My ‘Maury Povich’ Moment with DNA.”

Well, Andre is also a DNA match to Elmer! In fact, they all share DNA on chromosome 16 on overlapping segments, which means that they all share a common ancestor(s). This DNA match is strongly indicating that Prince Edwards was also the father of Uncle Square Partee. To add to this claim, Andre and Elmer have the same paternal haplogroup, E1b1a7a. Paternal haplogroups are Y-chromosome haplogroups, and Y-chromosomes are passed down in tact from father to son for many generations. Therefore, two men, whose fathers were brothers (born to the same father), will have the exact same paternal haplogroup. This was the paternal haplogroup of Luke Edwards, Sr. (aka Ogba[r] Ogumba / Agba Akumba), the proposed father of Luke Jr., Peter, Prince, Jeffrey/Jefferson/Jeff, Jerry, Monroe, Jack, and York Edwards.


One of the matching segments is on their chromosome 16, where they all match in the same location.

I mentioned an unconfirmed brother named Dock Partee. Well, Dock moved to DeSoto County, Mississippi after 1880. I had found him in the 1900 census. Check this out. Someone named John Edwards was living in his household. I ignored this the first time I saw it, but now it is of great significance. John was 25 years old. The relationship was not given but rather John was reported as being a “servant”. Hmmmm…….


Dock’s age was reported as 27 in 1880. Then, in 1900, his age was reported as 55. I guesstimate that he was born around 1855. Interestingly, he also named a daughter Hattie.
 Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Beat 4, De Soto, Mississippi; Roll: 807; Page: 20A; Enumeration District: 0028; FHL microfilm: 1240807

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and commenting on Roots Revealed!